Want to get involved with our youth music program? There are several ways to jump in! To get involved with any of these ministries, or for any questions, contact our youth ministry musician, David Casper, at email@example.com.
Rise Mass Choir
The Rise Mass Choir performs the music at the Sunday 5:00 PM youth Mass. It consists mainly of teens, with some adult volunteers. The minimum age to be part of the choir is 8th grade. There are several roles for choir members to get involved in
- Chorus: These are the singers forming the back rows of the choir; they sing as a large group, but not on individual microphones. There is no audition necessary to join the chorus - just come to the church sanctuary at 4:00 on Sunday and jump in!
- Cantors: These are the singers who sing on individual microphones at the front of the choir. Cantors are expected to lead songs individually, to prepare in advance for their singing parts, and to come to practice at 3:30 instead of 4:00. Auditions are required.
- Instruments: We make use of a wide variety of instruments for our Mass choir, including guitars (both acoustic and electric), bass guitar, piano, electronic keyboard, drums, bowed strings (like violins/cellos), and more. We are not currently looking to include any wind instruments (ex: flute, trumpet, saxophone, trombone, etc.) in our group. Instruments are expected to be able to create their own parts based on guitar chord sheets, and to come to practice at 3:30 instead of 4:00. Auditions are required.
The Rise Band performs any music that may be needed for Rise nights, retreats, and other youth ministry functions. Our lineup includes guitars (acoustic and electric), bass, drums, keyboards, vocalists, and sometimes other instruments as well. We are not currently looking to include any wind instruments (ex: flute, trumpet, saxophone, trombone, etc.) in our group. The minimum age to be in the Rise band is 9th grade.
We maintain a talented and knowledgeable group of teens who are trained in how to set up and operate audio and video equipment for Mass, Rise nights, retreats, and other youth ministry functions. No advance knowledge of these specific systems is necessary, but teens wishing to get involved in this ministry must demonstrate competence in using/learning about technology. The minimum age to be on the A/V Team is 9th grade.
Confirmation Service Hours
All of these forms of ministry can count towards Confirmation service projects (as well as service hours for scholarships or other organizations). For Confirmation in particular, here are the service requirements:
- Members of the Rise Mass Choir must be present and perform for both practice and Mass for at least 2 Sundays in order to count their participation as a service project.
- Members of the Rise Band must be present and perform for at least 3 Rise nights in order to count their participation as a service project.
- Members of the A/V Team must be present and actively helping with A/V ministry for at least 3 events (Masses, Rise nights, retreats, etc.) in order to count their participation as a service project.